New York Governor Kathy Hochul at present introduced new shark-monitoring drones will probably be deployed to native seaside communities on Lengthy Island and New York Metropolis, constructing on the State’s earlier actions taken to deal with and improve beachgoers’ security at State seashores. Governor Hochul additionally introduced that the New York State Workplace of Parks, Recreation and Historic Preservation and the Division of Environmental Conservation have elevated surveillance over the waters in response to shark sightings over the Fourth of July vacation, following new shark security protocols established this yr.
“New York has a few of the most lovely seashores within the nation, and I’ve directed State personnel to do all the things potential to maintain beachgoers secure this summer season,” Governor Hochul mentioned. “Forward of the busy summer season season, we developed new instruments and techniques to watch marine wildlife and defend the well being and security of New Yorkers. These new drones will improve the shark monitoring capability of native governments throughout Lengthy Island and New York Metropolis, making certain native seashores are secure for all beachgoers.”
The brand new drones will probably be distributed to all downstate municipalities by the New York State Workplace of Parks, Recreation and Historic Preservation (State Parks). It additionally supplies funding to cowl the price of coaching native personnel to function the drones. As most of these municipalities shouldn’t have drone surveillance functionality, this funding will help localities and businesses alongside your complete Lengthy Island shoreline and in New York Metropolis improve their shark monitoring efforts.
State Parks held a pre-season assembly this spring with beachfront municipalities and native businesses to offer the newest info on shark exercise in New York State and talk about coordinated beachfront notifications. As well as, the Division of Environmental Conservation (DEC) final week launched its Steering to Scale back the Danger of Destructive Interactions with Sharks.
When conditions come up of shark sightings and/or interactions with swimmers happen in State Parks seashores, swimming is suspended and all bathers are cleared from the water. Swimming is allowed to renew not less than one hour after the final sighting. State Park lifeguards, Park Police and park workers constantly scan and patrol the waters for shark exercise.
As well as, the Lengthy Island Coastal Consciousness Group, which is comprised of greater than 200 people from municipalities, businesses, and personal seaside operators stretching from Queens via Lengthy Island, is notified so they might take acceptable motion of their respective jurisdictions.
New York State Parks Commissioner Erik Kulleseid mentioned, “State Park lifeguards, Park Police and park workers are on excessive alert at our Lengthy Island seashores to maintain guests secure. We are going to proceed utilizing all the instruments at our disposal to be looking out for sharks and different harmful marine life.”
New York State Division of Environmental Conservation Commissioner Basil Seggos mentioned, “New York’s shores are dwelling to a wild and pure marine ecosystem that helps the annual migration of sharks to our coastal waters. Whereas human-shark interactions are uncommon, DEC encourages the general public to observe shark security steerage to assist reduce the danger of destructive interactions with sharks this summer season.”
New York State Police Performing Superintendent Steven Nigrelli mentioned, “Within the occasion of a sighting or emergency equivalent to the kind of incidents that occurred over the 4th of July weekend, NYSP Aviation is able to present speedy response and help as wanted. Like our State Parks and legislation enforcement companions, the protection of all New Yorkers is our first precedence, and we stand prepared to help them to make sure that beachgoers stay secure.”
In late Might, Governor Hochul introduced enhanced shark monitoring measures for Lengthy Island State Park seashores, which embody State Parks’ expanded surveillance capabilities:
- An extra ten drones has greater than doubled the eight in operation from final yr. One new drone assigned to Park Police is a big enterprise mannequin with thermal imaging, laser vary discovering, and high-quality cameras to permit for night-time surveillance and patrols in hostile climate situations. This drone may drop private flotation units in emergency conditions
- Presently 21 workers together with Park Cops, State Park operational workers, lifeguards and licensed drone operators are educated. An extra 12 workers members had been educated to be prepared for this summer season.
- State Parks Environmental Educators holding public outreach concerning shark habitats for individuals at Jones Seaside, Robert Moses and Sunken Meadow this summer season
- Two new Yamaha WaveRunners have been assigned to lifeguards to patrol each Jones Seaside and Robert Moses State Parks. These two private watercrafts will be a part of one already in operation at Sunken Meadow State Park
- Extra buffer zones had been created between swimming areas and surf fishing areas
- When sightings happen, New York State Police Aviation will probably be out there to reply as wanted
To reduce the danger of shark interactions, the Division of Environmental Conservation advises the next shark security steerage:
- Keep away from areas with seals
- Keep away from areas with faculties of fish, splashing fish, or diving seabirds
- Keep away from swimming at nightfall, evening and daybreak
- Keep away from murky water
- Swim, paddle, and surf in teams
- Keep near shore, the place your toes can contact the underside
- All the time observe the directions of lifeguards and Parks’ workers
People assume threat at any time when they enter any wild atmosphere, whether or not on land or within the water. Though it’s unimaginable to eradicate threat altogether, ocean customers can modify their conduct to reduce potential interactions with sharks and scale back total threat. When within the ocean, observe DEC’s shark security pointers to reduce the potential for destructive interactions with sharks.